Thursday, April 7, 2011

Morning troubles

I hate running in the mornings.

Every morning I get up decide I'm not going to run.  Every morning (planned rest days excluded) I somehow make it out the door for just a few miles.  Every morning those few miles somehow turn into the workout I'd planned in the first place.  And every morning I come back feeling better.

I was reminded of this during my interval session yesterday.  I was feeling generally blah when I woke up and didn't feel like running at all.  So I told my wife I was going to go for a short 4 miler just to keep myself loose.  After the first two miles, I found myself cruising along right next to my interval spot and figured, what the heck, I'll run an interval or two.

And then I not only ended up doing the full interval workout, I did it faster than I've ever done it before.  And I felt great when I got home.

A journalist actually contacted me recently for a story he's doing about running the morning.  I have no idea if anything I say will appear in the publication, but if it does I'll link to it here.

1 comment:

  1. isn't it amazing the irrational decisions one can make when they aren't really even awake yet? I only need to give myself a few minutes of upright awake time to make they decisions that I actually want to live with for the rest of the day! but it is tough!

    ReplyDelete