Sunday, April 24, 2011

Injured, part II

So it turns out I actually am injured.  Ran my second 20 miler in as many weeks yesterday, and ended up in a not good way.  The shin splints (a generic description of symptoms, not problems) is caused by a soleus strain, like I suspected.  And it's strained enough right now there's some visible bruising around the affected area.  Couple that with the general soreness of my left achilles area and it's time to take a break from running.

So swimming it is.  The good news is that I have plenty of time to rest before the marathon.  The better news is that I am in great shape and if I can keep my cardio up with swimming (and cycling, something I'm planning on starting as soon as I can sell my motorcycle) until June I should be in great shape.  I've got two 20 milers under my belt already.  Even if I don't get any more I should be able to turn in a pretty good time.

1 comment:

  1. Not that I hold myself up as a fabulous physical specimen, but I have found that my body reacts much better to doing a variety of activities i.e. biking, hiking, yoga, aerobics, rather than doing one activity continually.

    ReplyDelete